Governor-elect Evers and Lt. Governor-elect Barnes Announce “What’s Best for Kids” Advisory Council
MADISON – Today Governor-elect Tony Evers and Lt. Governor-elect Mandela Barnes announced their “What’s Best for Kids” Advisory Council (Council), a group of leaders and advocates from across the state who will work with and advise the transition team on policies and issues affecting Wisconsin’s kids.
“I’ve said from the beginning that what’s best for our kids is what’s best for our state, and that’s why I’ve convened a group of stakeholders and advocates for kids who will help us prepare a budget and policy priorities that put Wisconsin kids and families first,” said Evers.
The Council will advise members of Governor-elect Evers’ transition team on policy matters relating to the Department of Children and Families, the Department of Public Instruction, the Department of Health Services, and numerous other state boards and policy initiatives focused on children and families.
“From fully funding public education at every level to expanding all-day pre-K statewide to increasing trauma-informed programming in our communities and our schools, the bottom line is that our kids have to be our top priority,” said Evers. “Our ‘What’s Best for Kids’ Advisory Council will work with our team to ensure we’re improving the lives of Wisconsin’s kids and families.”
Governor-elect Evers’ “What’s Best for Kids” Advisory Council will join the more than 100 policy experts consulted by the transition team in preparing the state budget and policy initiatives for the incoming Evers Administration. Governor-elect Evers’ “What’s Best for Kids” Advisory Council members include:
- Sal Carranza, Latino Education Council
- Héctor Colón, Lutheran Social Services
- Angelina Cruz, Racine Unified School District
- Heather DuBois Bourenane, Wisconsin Public Education Network
- Sally Flaschberger, Disability Rights Wisconsin
- Andy Gussert, Boys & Girls Club of Wisconsin
- Peng Her, The Hmong Institute
- Christine Holmes, Penfield Children’s Center
- Duff Martin, WEAC
- Michelle Mettner, Children’s Hospital
- Sandy Morales, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Dane County
- Doug Nelson, Formerly of the Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Dr. Keith Posley, Milwaukee Public Schools
- Angela Russell, CUNA Mutual
- Paul Spink, AFSCME Council 32
- Ken Taylor, Kids Forward
- George Torres, La Causa
- Amy Traynor, Eau Claire Area School District and Co-Chair for Governor-elect Evers’ transition team
- Dr. Julie Underwood, University of Wisconsin-Madison Law School and Department of Educational Leadership & Policy Analysis
For additional information about Governor-elect Evers, Lt. Governor-elect Barnes, and the transition team, please visit evers.wi.gov.